Tuesday 8 July 2008

Super Duper Doctor Holidays

Finals really takes it out of you! For days after exams I awoke early, full of nervous energy. For a few brief and awful moments I would worry about all the work I'd have to do in the day ahead. Then realisation would dawn that I was finished. No more exams, no more revision, no more stressing out. Once results came out I didn't even have to worry about that! Yet, it was still only 2 weeks after the last exam, when we graduated, that it felt real. I am in fact a doctor. Wow!

In celebration, I went away on a super-duper doctor holiday to Greece with 7 other newly minted baby doctors, a med student and a lawyer. The busy days were filled with swimming in the sea, lying on the beach or the terrace reading novels (novels, I tell you, novels! Not a text-book to be seen!), eating souvlaki, ice-cream or fish and drinking ouzo or beer. I had afternoon naps, lie-ins, pointless wanders round shops and games of pictionary all with no guilt and no need to rush off to study. The sheer bliss of this can be best understood by everyone who ever did medical finals, or perhaps a big dissertation. When your life has been occupied by constant, all-consuming study for literally years on end, nothing is quite so disconcerting and yet rewarding as knowing it's all over!

2 comments:

The Little Medic said...

great isn't it :D

Dr Andrew Brown said...

Keep reading the novels, even when you get back to work. And poetry. All human life is there. :-)

Well done, yet again. And enjoy your first job in August (I presume).