Wednesday 16 July 2008

Micro-surgical techniques

I haven't yet heard what happened to the girl with air in her CSF, but if I do I'll let you know. 

Today I practised micro-surgical techniques.  Well, I practised creating and cutting and sticking very small things.  It's my great aunt's birthday party on Sunday, so a mass family gathering with cake and champagne has been organised.  My grandmother (great aunt's sister) always used to make sugar flowers, very tiny and detailed, for such occasions.  My mother decided that in her memory, we should make some.  She said to me yesterday to get the kit together and start the flowers to help her.  What I didn't realise is that she actually meant would I please make them.  So off I went. 

I have Grandma's instruction books, and between her and Mum they have all the tools.  I have certainly attempted this before.  Still, it was incredibly tricky.  The flower paste needs to be rolled out really fine, and stuck to the wire stem.  Then each layer of petals is stuck to the one before with egg white.  They tear, they get caught up, they stick wrong.  It takes forever!  But I'm pretty happy with the results.  The tiny manipulation required was fun, maybe it's a good omen for my surgical career.


No comments: