Friday 18 July 2008

Duke Elder

Way back in September, I was told to take the Duke Elder prize exam for CV building purposes.  It's set by the Royal College of Ophthalmology and is worth money if you win and kudos if you do well.  So in January I got an email from the medical school with dates and I applied.  

Fast forward to May and I was up to my eyeballs in finals revision and stress.  I had forgotten all about Duke Elder until I received the examination details about 2 weeks before it was due to take place.  Obviously I attempted some revision, and I have to say it is my special interest area.  Still, I walked in on the day with trepidation and no great hopes. 

Finals came and went.  Results, graduation and holidays have all intervened and I had sort of forgotten all about it until today.  I discovered by email that I had come 19th out of 319 candidates.  Now, although I didn't win, I never expected to.  And I have heard on the grapevine that coming in the top 20 is considered pretty good.  Good enough, in fact, to be worth putting on the CV when it comes to applying for specialty training in 18 months time.  

Needless to say, I am a very happy bunny.

1 comment:

madsadgirl said...

What can I say except very well done. You must be very proud of yourself.