Thursday 10 July 2008

Oh my. The bicycle fitting was an amazing experience. It took hours, and involved cycling on a stationary, highly adjustable test bike. My riding was video-taped, and the pressure differentials between my 2 feet were measured. My femur and leg lengths were measured, my range of motion was measured. Little wedges were placed under the cleats on my bicycle shoes. The difference was incredible. Just slight adjustments made it much easier to achieve the same wattage. I loved it.

Now it's a matter of waiting to see whether the man in the shop can fit my measurements to a suitable frame or not. If not, I might get one custom-made in pink-coated steel. And then insure it heavily.

In fact, yesterday was altogether a wonderful day. I saw an old friend for the first time in a year and spent the afternoon catching up on his travel adventures. In the evening I met a new friend, with whom I clicked instantly. We talked non-stop for 4 1/2 hours and only stopped when the restaurant kicked us out. Although the interaction with old and new friends is very different, both were wonderful in their way. It strange to see someone I had known so well and not seen for ages. The conversation just fell into place as if it had never stopped. With the new friend, it was strange that the conversation picked up as if we were old friends, as we found more and more attitudes, strengths and vices in common. I think it will be an interesting summer all round, what with being newly single, new friends being made, old ones rediscovered, a new job on the way and no more revision to do.

Off to Sweden tomorrow, to catch up with a friend I met in Tanzania on elective back in November, when this blog fizzled out. I will let you know how that goes when I get back on Monday.

1 comment:

The Little Medic said...

wow that sounds like a really detailed evaulation. Hopefully the bike should be a really perfect fit!