Monday 15 October 2007

Having a cold

I make a terrible patient. I am in fact an impatient. I have a cold, sufficient to cause cold sweats on walking to college and a nasty cough which hurts my chest. This is all pretty minor in the scheme of things, but I am going mad with boredom already. The problem seems to be that I feel pretty much ok when I am sat down. However, any activity that exceeds, say, turning the page of my book, makes me feel faint and sick. I am not impressed. I went to radiology teaching this morning at the hospital and coughed my way through it. I think I learned something, but I decided not to go up to a ward full of chemo patients and expose them to my virus. By the time I got to the bus stop I felt quite unwell again, which only confirmed my confidence in my choice.

Now I'm at home, making a desultory effort to read a cancer biology textbook and I am bored brainless and feeling much better. I am now very impressed by the stoicism and fortitude embodied by the patients on the ward, who seem to take infinitely more serious and distressing illnesses with infinitely more patience!

No comments: